As a family we have done all sorts. When they were teeny tiny, as in from about six months up to the age of two years old, bedtimes were pretty structured.
Od in particular seemed to have read the complete guide to being a baby before she was born, and pretty much did every thing as she was supposed to, when she was supposed to.
She was two and very earnest in her role as big sister when Eb came along and rocked our worlds.
I had plenty of early warnings.
At thirty six weeks I phoned the midwife convinced he was trying to be born via my belly button. He never sat still in there, and took to pounding what felt like my vital organs all day and night.
When he was born, he was this big screaming angry mess of a baby. He continued to be a big angry screaming mess for the first eighteen months of his life. I developed into a similar screaming mess as each month progressed.
I broke the washing machine because I found that the spin cycle stopped him crying.
It was that bad.
Just as he decided that being him was actually pretty great, and that WOW!!! These leg things can make me crawl really fast, which means I exhaust myself and sleep FOUR hours.....I fell pregnant with Mb.
Ha.
Eb was seven months old.
Nine months later, out popped Mb who was the teeniest of my brood and the cutest monkey looking baby ever. He even had a hairy back to compliment his ape like features.
He was worn every where, because as I'd discovered with screaming Eb, it is so much easier to just wear a screaming baby and do what you need to do, than to try and settle him into a cot or crib.
Mb didn't scream, but his newborness disrupted all of our routines, and so we went back to havoc and mayhem at bedtime for a while.
There is a big gap between Lb and the others, mainly because I had had a rush of baby producing. I was that crazy mother with three children under the age of four at one point.
Yikes.
I don't know how I did it, because I couldn't do it now.
Lb to be honest was a piece of cake. I went camping when I was eight months pregnant and took him with us again when he was five weeks old.
He has grown up a chilled out little chap. Happy to be in the flow.
When I had all these small people I never thought out home education. I didn't know it existed and I assumed that they would go through the system of nursery, primary and secondary school, and maybe university if they wanted.
Here I am, with all four at home with me as their companion on this roller coaster ride we call an education.
So much of what I thought I knew about child rearing has gone out of the window.
Which leads us to the title of this post.
Bedtime.
We don't do bedtime. Not in it's proper sense.
We do going to our bedrooms at around seven thirty, and the house goes into quiet mode but who actually goes to sleep when is left up to the individual.
Lb requires a story. No matter what. At the moment we are reading "Sam and the Firefly" which in all honestly is nearly driving me to drink. I enjoyed it the first 25, 40938 times I read it but now that firefly is really winding me up and I have to resist the urge not to mutter under my breath when he is doing one of his "bad tricks."
Mb normally listens in too, although he is rather sick of the same story, so has taken to reading himself one of the Tilly books. (I think I've mentioned my Polly Dunbar love before!)
These two will read, play, and talk until about eight and then their room goes silent. Occasionally I find them in the same bed. Once they had swapped pajamas, which was strange.
Od writes in her diary, letting me know each and every night that it contains secrets. She will be asleep by eight thirty, and she will also be the one to rise first. Normally she has fed herself and the horses and is reading a book or emailing a friend by the time the rest of us surface. She tried going to bed later (a privilege of being the eldest, I thought) but she simply couldn't hack it.
Eb selects a stack - and by stack I mean twenty at least - of books to read through. He is my night owl, and long after I have gone to my own room, his light will still be on. Sometimes he doesn't read, sometimes he creates lego masterpieces, maybe designs a new medal or some other task that he has taken a fancy to.
I will retire about eleven. At about one I will hear the pat-pat-pat of Lb's feet as he comes into my room, uses my loo and gets into the middle of my bed to place his knees into the base of my spine.
I worry that our night routines are dysfunctional, especially Eb as he can be awake until past midnight.
As a child, bedtimes were strict and non-negotiable. It was eight thirty until I turned thirteen, then it got extended by a whole hour. Weekends were different.
So what do you do? Are you disciplined with a bed time for each person? Go with the flow? Would you go to bed happy knowing at least one child is still awake and that child knows where you keep the matches?
4 comments:
hA! i love this. we are fairly regimented when it comes to bedtime, mostly as this mama, without the timely arrival home of the papa, due to graduate school deadlines and such, requires a tiny window of downtime at the end of her day. we read a chapter book together for a long time, then music goes on and i lie down a bit with them, and then they fall asleep. one of them inevitably ends up in bed with me before morning. i think it will be great when they determine their own bedtime, but in reality, they both fall asleep pretty quickly, so it seems to be working. i could see A staying up later, but she is also the wee hours of the morning girl, regardless of the bedtime, so it's nice for her to get to bed a little earlier.
We read as a family for a couple of hours then I go to bed. What happens after that is up to Papa & the kids. He gets the teeth brushed & the kids tucked in. And because Mom is already asleep (& the open bed policy for little night creepers) we have been blessed with 4 very good sleepers.
I have to add: when our youngest was a bit smaller we had a book that would not go away 'Going On A Bear Hunt'...her Papa read it fast, he read it slow, he read it loud & quiet, oh how he read that book!
when the kids were very small, bedtime was more regimented only because i was utterly knackered by the end of the day...LOL.
now it's very vague...quiet time starts at 8pm and everyone falls asleep at their own pace -- Sebastian is our night owl but as he's got older, i worry less....i make sure he has his water bottle filled and something to eat and then he's on his own project. It used to worry me that he'd be awake and everyone else asleep, but he's not bothered by it and he knows where to find us if he needs us...
xo
ps. my two are 19 months apart and when i look back, i have no idea how i did it. none. also, those years are only a vague blur in my memory so it might be best that i don't remember too much....LOL.
we're sort of organised. kinda. We have had a bath/stories/bed routine since Saurus - it just worked, especially with our various work/study patterns and we all really enjoyed it. Subsequent children just fell into the pattern that was already there!
Plus, I'd always wanted a large family and LOVE it, but in order to keep anything like sane, I need some quiet evening time.
So we have the whole baths, stories and quite games after dinner. Dot goes up at 7.30ish, has a nurse during which she generally drops off, and i stash her in the cot. Petal then goes up by 8 - she likes going to bed, dosn't like to stay up to late, and has been known to kick me or Papacrow out of bed if we cuddle her too long!
Fluff goes to bed around the same time, he sometimes takes a little while to wind down and go to sleep, but we have cuddles and he often listens to quiet music or CD book
The older three might be doing something screen related, but Wig is usually in bed by 8ish and reads for a bit. I generally prod him to turn his light out and CD off by 9, ditto for Roo although his bed time is more 8.30.
Saurus, although 15, needs an awful lot of sleep and we try to make sure he dosn't have too many late nights with films and playstation and so on otherwise he gets even grumpier than normal! He's usually turning the light out at 9ish or so, 10ish if he's had a film on his PSP
Wig, Roo and Saurus all read in bed, Roo and Wig in the mornings too, get various snacks to eat in bed (toast or cerial, and on the understanding they'll clean their teeth afterwards) and Roo and Saurus completely bath themselves, get themselves to bed etc.
Friday night is usually film night, so everyone is up a bit later then.
I have had three under five... that was interesting!
Post a Comment