Friday, 17 June 2011

up to my armpits

I am never sure if I am practical person or not. I think that some days when the mood takes me I am very practical, the Queen of Practical.

For instance, I managed to pack a picnic for yesterdays excursion the night before, fill up the car with fuel and route plan. I have a Sat Nav, but he and I disagree on the best routes, because he just wants to get there, and I want to see beautiful things along the way. Whereas I thrill at a road that states long vehicles cannot get down them, Tom will avoid this route, and therefore deprive us of the exciting opportunity to beep! Beep! Beep all the way down the road as we come across reversing tractors, crazy hair pin bends where I feel compelled to shut my eyes and will pray there to be no one round the corner, and we can pause to ask a field of cows directions. No, Tom's AtoB route would never do. There would be no adventure.

We had a lovely day, skipping about on the beach in glorious solitude, running in grassy fields and visiting lovely relatives. It was a day well spent as this (phone) camera evidence will show:


After beach milkshakes

(there are hiding children in this picture, in case you were wondering.)

But that was yesterday, and this is today.

For us live-in-the-momenters, this can prove problematic. Yesterday is gone, and I am back to the very NOW, which is showing me what a hopeless organiser I actually am. I have ten days to finish repacking the house, advertise half of my possessions on freecycle or build up the courage for a car boot sale. I still haven't booked a removals lorry, organised for my post to be redirected or even told some people that we are moving.

The latter is partly because the one person I did tell this morning, replied with "ten days....oh I bet you're stressed." I wasn't actually stressed at all at this point, in fact I was sorting out the eternal odd sock pile. Of course, as soon as this well meaning comment was made, I started to wonder why I wasn't stressed, and then I started to feel stressed and now I really am stressed.

Especially since I have foolishly promised the children that their last ten days in the old house will be ten days of fun....including several sleep overs, two birthday parties and a theatre trip.

Yes. My one day of being organised and every thing running to schedule was lovely, but I knew deep down it would never last.

I am made for chaos.

Which is why, to add to the crazy, I want to blog each day until we move, so I can look back and laugh. Or some thing.

2 comments:

Tania said...

Do laugh, sweetie, because the alternative isn't nearly as fun. And do forget about the odd sock pile - if you hang in there long enough you might find that you're attitude to matching socks becomes like mine: HOW PREDICTABLE! And for the rest of it? May.The.Force.Be.With.You.

mel said...

oh goodness...

i shall uphold you in a beam of organizational light...:D

if i lived closer, i'd pop round and throw some stuff in boxes for you...;)

xo