Tuesday, 21 June 2011

irony and new home day dreaming

The week I decide to blog daily happens to be the week that Blogger has a moment, and I can’t get in to my blog to write a new post.

Aha, but I have thwarted you Blogger, because I have written this in word and then imported it in...at least I hope I have. Can you see me?

***

It has dawned on me that I have been rather coy about where we are moving to.

Perhaps today is the right moment to write about this, because I have run out of boxes until Mr Wah comes home later tonight.

I had planned a big reveal when we actually got there, and I will of course but who I am kidding? The likelihood of my actually getting anywhere near the computer for the first few weeks is pretty poor, especially as I am really bad at labelling boxes after I have packed them. I fully expect one of the children to open a box marked toys to find my kitchen knives and utensils in there. I am only worried that they won’t tell me and will take their new “toys” off for a play and possibly lose a finger or two.

But I am prepared to take the risk for this reason:

We are moving to our very own small holding.

Now, I don’t want anyone thinking that I am going to come over all self sufficient and holier-than-thou, because I fully expect to still buy an online grocery shop on a fortnightly basis for the foreseeable future. I would like to grow some vegetables, and there is a rather ancient orchard which I am told has apple and plum trees in it, so you may get some gratuitous shots of the fruit (none of which I can claim to have grown, because let’s be honest, the tree does all the growing.)

What I am excited about, and what mystified the person showing us around, is the diversity of habitats. In this one five acre plot there is a long grass meadow, a small lake, several ponds and a reed bed as well as a woodland area and the orchard. I foresee a whole Summer of bug love, as well as an attempt to record our own version of Springwatch. (Already dubbed “Wales Watch”.)

We are also a twenty minute drive from the coast, giving us a great opportunity to study marine life as well.

I am thrilled, and it is this thought that is keeping me going when I feel as though I am living in a never ending pile of packing boxes. Only a few more days and I will be there....home.

6 comments:

Sam said...

Wow - sounds wonderful. It's worth all the effort now. :-)

Cheryl said...

Five acres. That sounds good. And close to the coast. Even better. You'll be telling us next that the house is a five bed victorian farmhouse, recently renovated, with barns. Hang on, that's my dream. Hope the move goes well.

Stephanie said...

Oh, Kelly, how wonderful!! I got goosebumps! I am so, so pleased for you.

Appleshoe said...

It sounds lovely! We are happy for you, take care and we can't wait to hear more about it.

Jacqui said...

yes! have fun. xx

Grit said...

fantastic! what a brilliant opportunity! and pictures, please!