Saturday, 30 April 2011

what that moment was all about

First let me set the scene...

We went for a walk, on a path that we normally take.

The weather was perfect. Sunshine but not boiling, and a light breeze every now and then that kept us all refreshed. Of course, the children also paddled in the stream to cool themselves down and as it is now tadpole season, there was plenty to do, and plenty to name. We aren't raising tadpoles this year because of the move, but it did Mb's heart good to know that there are plenty of Cyrils, Edwins and Gilberts swimming about once again.

There was an abundance of butterflies, mostly Cabbage Whites and the odd Red Admiral (who has the lovely Latin name of Vanessa Atalanta", which got me wondering whether they were migrants or residents. If you want to know anything about butterflies in the UK, click here.

Bear with me dear reader, we are getting to the heart of the matter now...

We walked along the edge of the stream for a way, and came across the dead fish. There was a little bit of anguish over finding it "If only we had got here sooner!" I heard Od exclaim, which made me smile inwardly and wonder if she really would give a fish mouth to mouth. We think it's a small roach as they are fairly common in the big lake that feeds the stream, but it does have a bit of a catfish like appearance (but that could just be its dead look...fish identification is not my strong point.)

Now, normal people would have peered at the fish and said "how unfortunate" and moved on to gawp at other things.

We of course used a plastic cup to scoop up the fish to take it back to the Rangers for inspection. The Rangers say that it is indeed a dead fish, and then suggest that the kids take it home a dissect it, of course they want to.

Now at this moment, there should have been a neon sign flashing in my head, reminding me of the friendly farm and their rather enthusiastic efforts to support my children in their quest to learn more about the natural world. I am of course referring to the owl pellet incident of 2009.

Of course I was too busy being enthusiastic, and so before I had even had time to think on a sensible and practical level I was back home with a dead fish, researching how best to preserve it (we've gone for a heavy-on-the-salt and water mix). The fish is pickled until I have got up the nerve to complete the plan.





D-day has been planned for Tuesday afternoon. I shall of course post the results, even if the result is me passed out on the floor.

4 comments:

Helena said...

So funny! I love this story. I don't think I could go through with the Plan. Hopefully you'll get through it without passing out!

Your girl sounds like my kids. They want to save every, single animal. I loved the mental image of fishy mouth to mouth (well, not the ACTUAL image, but the idea, which was funny, and made me smile) :)

Tina said...

That is awesome! It shouldn't be to bad, just go for it :)

Sam said...

Lucky you! I recently had to pull a wing off a dead bee, and that was enough for me. Good luck :-)

Stephanie said...

lol. Awesome, Kelly!
At least it won't smell like formaldehyde! :)

Can't wait 'til tomorrow's exploration!