Wednesday, 11 August 2010

Pr-pr-prepping

In Scotland, the schools start back next week, and I've noticed a planning surge in the home education blogs. The boys have been asking for things to do....so I've been doing my own version of prep work.

I asked the boys what they wanted to do, and got the reply "Ancient History". Just when I think we've done the Romans and Greeks to death, Eb gets out the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History (curse you Usborne for your interesting and accessible books!) to inform me, that, actually Mother, we haven't looked at the Babylonians, Minoans, Chinese, Sumerians and we've barely looked at the Incas either....he's composed a list of about 20 ancient civilisations that I've never heard of. He could be making them up.

Apart from a dalliance with the Normans and the Tudors, I have a sinking feeling that we will never see the Middle Ages, and as for the past 500 years....well may be we will get to them in time for Shrek's 30th birthday.

Then I refreshed our supplies, which looks like this:
A box drawer of corks and cotton reels
Some multicoloured offcuts of lino

These boxes are filled with pencils, scissors and a whole ziplock bag of rubber bands

There could be a return to the science of the human body. Radio 4 today had an interesting programme about constipation, which captivated the children on a car journey far better than any audio book I've loaned from the library. Here is the link, if you're interested. Naturally, the children are curious about the balloon experiment, so I made a real effort to hide every single one in the house, as a trip to A&E explaining why Eb has popped a balloon full of water in his brothers bottom is not some thing I relish. (You really need to listen to the last ten minutes of the programme to understand what I am wittering on about.)

There are other things in the pipeline, a Reptiles and Amphibians day, a Bee Keeping Day, a lab tour of a real live biochemistry lab and the usual sports and such.

Which means things are shaping up. Looks like an interesting few weeks ahead....

1 comment:

Tania said...

After all that body function bizzo, replete with 'ew' factor, you might find a retreat to ancient Babylonian life a bit of a relief. Keep them options open, I says!