My children. I love them so much. I love them enough to be with them every.single. minute. of. the. day. Which I love too, most of the time.
I love them enough to organise and pay for a session at a local foundry to meet a load of really cool artists from around the world and have a go at making a piece of art out of metal.
It starts really badly.
The first part of the day is spent in the gallery, where lumps of sculpted metal have £1200 price tags. I try really hard to get "it" and just as I am starting to, EB and MB practically fall over in a fit of giggles.
"That goat man's got a willy!" They shriek. How do you explain that it is art to a 5 and 6 year old, when you aren't really sure what it represents yourself.
When the lovely pixie-like lady owner is giving a talk on the many ways to sculpt iron, EB and OD listen intently, nodding and looking quite captivated. I feel a smug glow that is halted immediately, when I realise that MB is lying face down on the floor, still as stone chanting in a monotone voice "this is boring this is boring this is boring this is boring." I half drag him to his feet.
"No it's not boring, it's fascinating if you listen" I chide
"It's boring, when do we get to make stuff?"
At this point the pretty pixie lady owner cuts short the talk and heads straight to the creating bit. Phew.
They are rather good at this part, except for MB refusing to wear the safety gloves because it is hindering him chipping out the frog shape from the sand block and his goggles keep slipping off his nose. Then MB does some thing that astounds every one (except me, because I have been witnessing this for months).
We are advised at the beginning of the session to not try out letters, as you need to chisel them in backwards which is tricky. MB has finished the frog, and decides to chisel in his name.
"No no!" Cries the lovely pixie lady. MB fixes her with one of steely looks.
"I know it needs to be backwards" He says "I can write any thing backwards."
MB, you see is a lefty (which means I have a genius or axe murderer on my hands, I know which one my money's on.....) Part of his leftyness means that writing right to left, perfectly backwards comes naturally to him. He writes his name beautifully, backwards. Lovely pixie is impressed.
Then comes the exciting part, when the moulds are set alight to seal them. EB is nearly falling off his chair with excitement, fire is this boys thing. He has etched out a dragon, and is convinced it has come to life and is spewing it's own flames.
They all fall in love with an American artist with a handle bar moustache. He calls them "dudes" tells them their work is "awesome" and shows them some stuff he has been working on. When OD asks why he decided to make moulds of paper cups, penguins and other oddments, he replies with complete honesty.
"I don't know why I do what I do, it's just fun".
I couldn't have summed up the day better myself.
PS - Come back Sunday to see the finished articles!
4 comments:
oh WOW sounds awesome! Can't wait to see! MB did a frog, EB did a dragon, what did OD do?
I bet the goat man was Pan... he's somewhat... laviscous (if that's the way to spell it) in the adult uncleanedup versions of the myths... which is most likely why he had his willy out!
The american artist sounds like a total dude himself!
sounds like a wonderful day, will look forward to seeing results.
Mamacrow - Whoops, bad mother alert! I forgot to add OD did a lovely horse shoe design. Very her, as she is completely horse mad :)
Jax - the results will be a day or two late, there was a slight drama at the foundry today so every thing was running rather late. Never mind, I'm sure you'll hold out a day or so?
I spluttered tea on the keyboard with the facedown this is boring this is boring this is boring thing.
Hearty thanks for diverting my song attention to 10 green bottles...(aarrgghhh!!)
Post a Comment