Tuesday, 18 September 2012

favourite things at the moment and a little bit more moving worry

I have started.

And it has been not as painful as I expected, but still not pain free.

I should have followed the rules and started at the top of the house and worked my way down, but I didn't.  Starting at the top would mean packing away the kids stuff first, and a house of bored kids for the next few weeks would be no fun for anyone.

A new home ed group has been set up.  Of course it is only ten minutes away and in the most perfect hall.  Cheap with a small play park and a field with lockable gates and parking.  If you are a home educator you will get how much of a bonus this is, and how it sucks that we will be leaving it behind in a few short weeks.  We already know most of the families from other events and there are several good friends there.  It's going to be hard to uproot the children again, and I'm hoping that this will be the very last time, and the next move they make will be to their own place.

There has been lots of busy.  Meccanno has been rediscovered.  When Eb first had this he was probably a bit too small, and he found it very fiddly and more than a little bit frustrating.  He seems more capable now and has been playing with a motor and making things that go.

Lb has been playing cooking shows with the play dough and some old herbs that I was going to chuck out.  It's strange because I don't think he has ever seen a cooking show, maybe I Can Cook on Cbeebies once, but he loves to talk you through what he is making.  My favourite cake was steak, jam and custard.

Mb is still very much in lego mode.  I've downloaded a stop motion app onto the Ipad and he having great fun making short films for us all to watch.  One involves a light sabre that turns into a chicken drumstick.  It's genius.

Od is competing and pony clubbing.  I am shelling out the pounds to keep her going to all these things until we move.  Then we've agreed a winter break and a re-join of the nearest branch come Spring, which gives me a chance to save some pennies.  Keeping a horse isn't so pricey, competing a horse is a killer.

Whilst Mr Wah has been focusing on the finances of the move - I prefer to close my eyes and cover my ears. I have been on the equally important mission to make some pretty things for the new house.

You don't need to say anything.  I realise this is the 493,290 evasion tactic I have employed since the move was first mentioned.  I have weeded flower beds, baked, painted and now I can add sewed my way out of box packing.  My theory/ excuse (take your pick) is that it helps me visualise the move, where we are going and how we will settle in.

It is going to be very different.  I do need to get my head and the children's heads around this.

Our current house is a converted barn.  It is open plan and long and thin.

Our new house is an old hunting lodge, it is very old and square.

Our current house is in a climate that can be accurately described as damp but mild.


Our new house is in a climate that is bitterly cold.  Cold, cold, cold.

Our current house is at the end of a looong lane.

Our new house is at the end of a short one, and there are neighbours.

I could go on but the last one is the one that is currently bothering me the most.  We've lived pretty much neighbourless for a year.  If someone fancies playing the piano at midnight or swimming in the lake in their pyjamas, then there is only the six of us to consider.  Our new house is up a shared lane, shared by four houses including ours.  We are going to have to be considerate again.  I'm both looking forward to having new neighbours and I'm dreading it.  Our house belonged to a little old lady.  We are a noisy bunch at best.  Will they like us?   What will they make of us home educating?

I don't do bedtimes.  Mine kind of peel off up the stairs about eightish when I declare it is my time,  but they don't necessarily go to sleep.  They may read, play lego, talk to each other, listen to an audio book or whatever they want to do provided it doesn't involve power tools.  This means that Eb in particular is normally still building something at eleven o' clock.  Will the neighbours notice his light on and comment on how he is still awake?  Is that the most randomly weird thing to be worrying about?  I think so.

I've had neighbours before, and they were lovely.  We still keep in touch and they weren't bothered about the fact that my kids never went to school, in fact they were very keen to find out more themselves.  It's just me being sensitive....isn't it?









1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Displacement behaviour is totally normal. We moved every three years when I was a child. It became a running joke that my mother would make huge batches of jam, just when we were moving. I think she didn't believe there would be shops in the next town! (It's genetic. I make jam before we go away on holiday!)

As for neighbours, I'm sure my neighbours couldn't tell you when my children go to bed. Probably more worried about what I'll notice about their households. You'll be fine. Happy sewing!