Friday, 1 June 2012

not so much but oh so much

We've had drama here in our little valley.

A murdered mother goose, badly maimed father goose, left-to-themselves eggs.

A girl determined to raise (illegally) those eggs.

Being told by everyone that they will not hatch.

Hatching those unhatchable eggs.

Raising little goslings.

Losing a little gosling.

Mourning a little gosling.

Giving the remaining brood to a more experienced home because despite my best intentions those little blighters were far too implanted on us human beings than was wise, and really, the constantly disrupted sleep was starting to wear thin!

Researching mink traps.

Losing the nerve to implement the mink trap.  Knowing if I really want to keep chickens I have to implement the mink trap.

Riding ponies.  Getting ready for the first show of the season, which means spending even more cash on poncy horsey clothes that I don't have and can't really justify....thanks heavens for Ebay!

Reading books.  Ness the Nurse, Going on a Bear Hunt, more Diary of a Wimpy Kid and a smattering of crab research after the discovery of a monster dead crab on the beach.

Beach days.  Lots when the weather was fine.

The discovery of a sweet dolphin watching spot.  Last time we saw twelve, and we're pretty sure they saw us from the amount of showing off that went on.

Thinking, planning, daydreaming, planting.

Leaving those thought of, day dreamt of, finally planted seedlings outside only for the wind to get up and beat the living daylights out of them.  We'll be living off of nasturtiums and tomatoes then.

Questioning of my sanity.  What was I thinking?  I cannot smallhold.  There are others who are so much better than I at this whole living off the land ideal.  I can't seem to find my mojo.  I like to be out in the garden but the butterflies, birds and small mammals keep distracting me from the work I'm supposed to do.  I need that weekly shop more than ever.

Lots of outside playing, still some inside playing of mancala and shut the box.


Sketching, and discovering I can draw as long as I pay attention.  I could probably take out draw and add in a hundred other words and that sentence would still be true, but somehow I am often paying attention to the wrong things at the wrong time.

Boat research!  A new chapter in terror and adventure awaits the WAH family.  More on this over the weekend.

Jubilee plans.  We have a party, a sports day and a village fete to go to.  Best crown competition (which we home educators have spent a whole month working on and which Mb, if he does not win a prize, will have an almighty strop.)

Stopping to check the calender and realising with a start that we are nearly half way through the year, and where has that time gone and what have I been doing with all that time?

3 comments:

W-S Wanderings said...

Oh so VERY much. These are the ingredients of living. And the smallholding? - you most certainly CAN do it. It takes time to grow into it. For it to work its way into your very core. It will come.

slim pickins said...

so glad to hear about life as usual over there!!!!! (and dolphins? um......WOW!)

mamacrow said...

WOW on the goslings!

oh no on the mink :( they are devastating to an area :(

Good luck on the horse shows and the crown competition!

and it takes years to build up a productive small holding, give yourself time & just do little bits at a time?