We have a strange, on/ off relationship with the television.
When we moved here, we didn't have one. When the winter arrived, we all decided we really needed one. Crowding around a little laptop screen wasn't really working for a family of six. There were too many arguments, and I realised that this was not harmonious living at all. Far better to break out the big screen and have snuggly film time on the sofa than pushes and shoves at the table.
Stephanie at OLM has written a far more eloquent post about TV and how it is a part of their unschooling philosophy, and it pretty much sums up how I feel about TV and how it works for us. I don't have a problem with the kids vegging out and watching it, and they generally fill their days with busy stuff, but the TV is always there (covered with a sheet because this thing is a dust magnet!!) But never out of bounds.
A list of what we've watched over the Winter:
*Orbit : Earth's Extraordinary Journey
*Wales : The Story of Us
*Lost Cities of the Ancients
Phineas and Ferb
Backyard Science
How It's Made
*Ooglies
*Horrible Histories
Time Team
RSPCA Animal Rescue
*Just William
*Deadly 60
*Merlin
*Charlie and Lola
(All starred titles are available on BBC Iplayer here. Although this may only be for UK people....)
Looking at this list we look like very academic people! We really aren't, and we do watch some stuff on Cbeebies but this is the main core. Just call us Geeks, OK?
I'm sure there are others, but these are constant favourites that have been watched on more than one occasion, and they are the programmes that all of them will watch, from Od through to Lb.
I realise this makes us look like an advert for the BBC, but as we don't have any fancy channels, just the basics, which means Iplayer and Channel 4 OD are fantastic resources for us.
I think our TV recorder box is probably one of the best things we've ever bought. We can record things that are on when we're all busy or asleep, and we can fast forward adverts. I am surprised how many good series are on at weird hours.
It was through this we managed to record the Christmas Lectures at the Royal Institute, and watch them again and again with each set of visitors we've had. The experiments you do whilst watching these are really fun! If you want to watch them, or if you just want to have a poke around the Royal Institute, then I can recommend the Ri Channel.
You can clearly see that our viewing tends to veer towards science and nature. If you know of a series that we've missed then let me know in the comments.
2 comments:
I'm with you on the recorded tv thing - it has made incorporating screen time much more harmonious in our home.
By the look of it we've have similar viewing :) We've also been recording Mythbusters (a repeat I think).
Despite the lure of the screen when I should be doing more constructive things I do like tv. It's both an integral part of our home ed day and a great way for me to wind down at the end of the day.
Post a Comment