Tuesday, 10 April 2012

home education :: the myth and the reality

When you tell people you home educate, you can never be sure of their responses.  The only thing I can say is consistent is the responses of other children who generally seem to think it is awesome.


 (please know that the pictures have nothing to do with the post, I just like them.)

What is consistent is the general lack of understanding of what home education actually means.  I am often asked how we manage to follow the national curriculum at home (which I now have a new natty reply "didn't you know that the new academies can opt out of the NC?") or whether my children will sit exams, do they socialise, and so on and so forth.


All practical concerns, and all worthy of debate.

Others who are maybe a little more informed/ crazy envisage days spent knitting, reading together and beeswax modelling.

There are days like these, maybe two out of three hundred and sixty five.

Would I like more days like these?

Not really.
 

The beauty of home ed is that we can choose to have days like these but most often we choose other stuff.

There is daily reading, but I don't schedule it in.  It is done when requested.  It isn't always a sedate affair either, especially if Mr Wah is reading.

We don't live in harmony.

There is regular arguments, and occasional fighting.  There have been black eyes caused by over enthusiastic trampoline play, and even a tooth knocked out of a big boys mouth by a littler brother.

In short, we're very normal.

There are beautiful moments.  When the sun is shining and we have the beach to ourselves and every one is smiling and happy.  These are the moments I hug to myself when the weather has turned grolly and I am stuck in the house with four children who have started snarling at each other.

I have one child who at the moment is constantly bored.  I can offer every activity in the house and he will sniff and turn his nose up and every one.

I have another child who would happily spend every waking moment at a computer screen, playing Roblox or Incredibots.   I would like to pretend that I don't have a problem with this, that I am a true unschooler but I do.  I really, really do.  I make him take food breaks and fresh air breaks.


I struggle to find one activity that will interest all my children, so diverse are their ages and interests.  We've been on visits to the Welsh Assembly, the National Library, the Arts Centre, the Lifeguards Club and at each visit at least one child has felt compelled to come and tell me that this is not for them.

There is of course the flip side.  Mb surprised both himself and me by becoming very passionate about politics whilst at the government buildings, and Eb and Od both had to chock back a tear whilst listening to the stories of evacuees at the National Library workshop.

I've been brave and told all my family that none of my children will go back to school unless they want to.  We are standing very much alone, as their reactions vary from indifference to out and out horror at how I am so bloody minded that I will wreck my children's future.

Home ed is hard work.  Do not be fooled.  Yes, you get to set the pace when they are smaller, and yes, you have a staggering amount of freedom but oh my, the responsibility can be overwhelming at times.  The pace also gets picked up as they get older, and I'm at a stage now where the big three all have clubs and lessons they want to do.

So, each week you will find me at piano lessons, violin lessons, swimming lessons, horse riding lessons, lifesavers, Jujitsu, art club as well as a multitude of one off events and social activities.  Best not to mention all the stuff we have going on at home.

We still manage to have two days a week that are completely at home, but it takes serious planning and strength to say "no" to other opportunities.

Does this sound like a moan?

It's really not meant to.  Having all the children at home is the best decision we've ever made.  I love my life and I know I'm lucky to be able to do things this way, and to live life on our own terms.  It's a huge decision, but once you've made it you realise that it wasn't such a big deal after all. 

I think that what I'm trying to say is this:  If you are thinking of home educating, do it.  Just don't expect it to be exactly how you planned it in your head, because children have an amazing ability to turn even the simplest idea on it's head and turn it into something wonderful, messy and all their own.

Also, don't read too many home education/ home schooling blogs.

They are a fantastic resource, and some of our best projects have come from them.  I've also left some feeling like an epic failure.  Comparison is a waste of time.  Take the good ideas and remember that every one has crappy days, just not every one chooses to blog about them.

So, over to you.  Whether you home educate or not, how do you deal with the reality when it doesn't quite match up to the myth?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, we're in our third year of home-ed now and you can't help but worry. I try and remind myself that we would be worrying about a whole heap of stuff also if they were in school. Parenting is a huge responsibility as well as a great joy but I personally prefer to avoid the race to the finish line mentality that exists in the schooling system:-)

Big mamma frog said...

Ah...if only I knew :) I suppose one of the reasons I keep a blog is to remind me of the good and constructive things we do (and to moan about all the other stuff). I need a record of those small good moments to reassure me when I'm having a day needed to end 4 hours ago and it's still happening :)

I've swung from autonomous to (attempts at) structured and back again, currently settling somewhere in the middle. Do my kids spend more time on the pc and gadgets than I would like? Sure. Do they argue? Sure. Do they complain of being bored yet refuse any offer of marvellous activities from me? Er yeah. Well one of them at least. Do they roll their eyes when I suggest an 'interesting project' or outing? Yep. Frequently. Are they human? Most certainly.

Sometimes I just force myself to lower my expectations and do my best to stop beating myself up about it.

Anyone got a better idea?

Big mamma frog said...

p.s. would definitely second the thing about reading other homeschooling blogs. Some are fab and tell it like it is. Some are beautiful and gently inspiring and reassuring. Others are not for reassuring viewing. I'm thinking of those (usually, but not always, American) written by 'super-moms', that detail the rigourous enthusiasm of their obedient children and their daily timetable of educational joyousness (enough joy to make me want to get the sick bag). If you're having an HE confidence crisis and spot a blog where the children get up at 6am to march around singing songs about how much they love spinach, then probably best to avoid.

slim pickins said...

i love this. i was just at an easter party this weekend and was somewhat cornered by a woman who is fascinated by homeschooling and thinks she'd like to try it herself, which was exciting, but i was feeling as though i needed to represent All the Possibilities and put on a good face, which wasn't really where i was feeling it! i could only promise it wouldn't be the way she might imagine, but that she was already familiar with the alternative (her child is in public school now).

Misty Brown said...

Wonderful post! You shared so many good points about the realities of home education. Thank you.

Cheryl said...

Not a homeschooler, but have to admit it has crossed my mind more than once. To compensate, school holidays have lots of history, science or other activities. I get to dabble, enough to marvel at how people do it. Keeping everyone captivated in activities when ages range from 4 to 9 and time to get ready for the activities. Not sure how you do it!

kelly said...

It appears I am not alone in this challenge....that's a good thing isn't it?!?

My Grandmother tells me that trying to go anywhere with several children is like trying to herd cats, and I think that pretty much sums up my daily life :)

Bridget said...

This is a brilliant post, it pretty much sums it all up.Some days are amazing and some are pure poop! But the time spent with my children with good or bad behaviour is something I wouldn't miss for the world. Like you we're on our own, family and friends think we're mad! I'm very, very happy being mad!