I love blogging..
I love recording what we do, I love looking back through the archives, and seeing how we've grown, or regressed in some cases.
I love reading other people's blogs. I find so many of them inspiring.
But....
More and more I feel that the stories I want to write about are not mine to tell, they are my childrens. As they get older in particular, it sometimes feels like I am intruding into their privacy, as they may not want the world to know what they get up to.
For the past year at least I have always talked to them about what I am blogging, and they will quite often read over my shoulder, or suggest a picture for a post. If it is a story about a specific child, I'll ask their permission to talk about it.
A part of me feels that although I have their blessing at seven, I may not have it at seventeen.
I'm not sure where this leaves my little blog. It isn't a global sensation, but it is a record of our days, and it has theraputic qualities. To come somewhere from time to time and empty the contents of my mind into words is a good feeling. Sometimes, in a day where I fear there has been little accomplished, it is comforting to come here, unpick the day and see the hidden treasures that could easily be forgotten or discarded.
Maybe the solution is to edit what I blog about, less about individual children, more about us as a collective, or maybe convert it into a private blog, open only to those who subscribe? I don't know....I'm going to have a think over the festive period.
For those of you that have read, whether once or twice, or since the early days.
Thank you.
And Season's Greetings to you.
4 comments:
I have altered to writing about myself and my current interests. One of my sons is a fellow writer on my blog and has a feed on his screen anyway. That is how it is working out for me.
i really hear you on this. i don't write our family blog anymore -- it was starting to feel squicky as the children got older and then when Savannah decided she wanted to go to school...well, that sort of kicked us out of the club. *grin* And to be honest, i never really felt like i belonged to the unschooling-mommy-blogger set anyway.
i've been tempted to go back and delete it but i look over the old posts and see the magic of our days...our own version of this beautiful life....and i can't bring myself to do it. BUT -- i also don't feel right chronicling it all either.
it's a conundrum indeed.
so i write about my own *stuff* on my other blogs and the kids make special guest appearances sometimes but it's mostly my space to share my thoughts....and that's pretty much all the therapy i need. :)
i hope you find your peace in all this and that you will find a way to stick around that makes you happy and fulfilled.
blessed Solstice and all the rest to you and your beautiful family..
xoxo
I have this dilemma too. Ds1 has already said he doesn't want photos taken of him because he doesn't want them going on the blog (fair enough), but the others still don't mind. I think I will keep blogging, try to make it personal without encroaching too much or revealing things they don't want revealed.
If at some time in the future they would rather not be on the web then I will just switch it to a private blog, not viewable by the world.
I keep my own blog too. But that tends to be less used as so much of what I do is family/home ed focused. To be fair what does get revealed in my home ed blog is probably more about parenting and about me (directly or indirectly) and less about the kids.
Finding the perfect balance between recording what we do, so that we can look back as a family, and invading their privacy .... its hard. They may be OK now, but they might bless me later. I just hope that their older self understands. I've always skipped including recognizable photos. I just know that I couldn't keep recording reliably in any other format. I hope you find your balance and when you do, let us all know!
Enjoy the festive season!
Post a Comment