A distant family member made this casual remark to Od last week. It didn't actually bother Od, because it took her all of four days to tell me, whereas if some thing is troubling her, she needs to talk and analyse it right now.
It bothered me.
I have always been aware that although my family support me, they don't always understand why we do what we do. The comment was made because Od voiced that she is contemplating looking at the local school when we move. She doubts she will go, but she just wants to see what it is like.
In all honestly I am frustrated at myself. Am I not demonstrating clearly enough that my children have a wide range of social opportunities? Are their social graces so terrible that they could have been dragged up by Raving Rabbids?
We participate in all kinds of things, large group activities, one to one friend meet ups, organised sports and clubs, all ages, all kinds of people. Some we love, some we know vaguely and some that we don't get along with quite so well.
I am sure, completely and utterly, that the comment was made in innocence. It was a well meaning relative trying to offer Od some encouragement should she go back into the school system. I will try not to be too sensitive about it. I know that the speaker meant she will be in a class with thirty other ten year olds, and will become acceptably normal once more.
I just wish that those who don't home educate would spend a little bit of time in my shoes before they offer well meaning, but misleading advice.
There is method in my apparent madness. I want my children to grow up knowing that society is made up of many people, some of which they will have things in commen with, and many more that they probably won't.
I want my children to have a love for the minority group, for we are all, in some way, a minority. Whether you are a philatelist, a lover of opera, shoes, thimbles, what ever it is that inspires you.
Home education is a growing minority group, and it is my sincerest (and probably naivest) wish that by the time my own children are parents, that home education is recognised as a perfectly acceptable alternative to mainstream schooling, with the many myths that surround it dispelled.
4 comments:
It's a really interesting subject. There are so many myths and preconceptions about home-schooling.... in fact about every type of schooling!
I must admit one of the reasons I chose to send my children to school rather than home educate was the social aspect.... but I do realise that isn't the whole picture. The social aspect was more to do with my childrens' own personalities and the best way to inspire and stimulate them. I chose a school where they interact with children of all ages and abilities, but that is what suits them. Another child may be happier only ever interacting with children the same age.
I know many home schooling families where the children have a far better social life than they would of at school! Sadly I also know of at least two where the children only ever interact with their own siblings :( As long as there are families like that the misconceptions about everyone who home educates will continue :(
I, like you, hope that in the future parents are able to make an education choice for each individual child rather than trying to fit the child to the education, and that friends, family and the government are well enough informed to support them in that.
AAARGH! And ACK! In the beginning and still occasionally now, there is a comment coming from somewhere in the extended family which prompts my kids to understand that it is not normal to attend a Steiner school, to delay reading in the first years, to not run around in the latest Ben 10 gear. And that's just because they attend a STEINER school, not a MAINSTREAM school. My family are generally well meaning too. Sheesh. I can only begin to imagine the 'fun' you have...
It's frustrating isn't it? I try not to take it personally - most people just haven't thought about what quality of social interation is, the quantity seems to be what matters and particularly with older generations, I find, people find it hard to grasp why families choose not to use the system when it really resembles nothing of the school they remember through their nostalgic rose tinted view.
Good luck with your move :o)
I am late to comment because I orginally read this on my phone (can't comment from there) then the laptop wouldn't connect (ARGH) for AGES (ARRRRGH)
but... ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!
Luckily no one has said this to me yet because they'd get a
'OOOOH yes, we tried that and it was SOOOO much better, their time at school taught them a LOT about being SYSTIMATICALLY BULLIED for coming up to SEVEN GODAM YEARS oh, and how to bully others, steal, cheat, not bother to do any work and BASICALLY BE MISERABLE' reply. If they asked me at this time of the month.
Post a Comment