We looked at mythical creatures today. We studied the form of dragons, griffins, mermaids, unicorns, pegasus and the kraken. We are half way through creating a rather large work of art which will be show cased on here at the end of the week.
There were some tears "I can't spell griffin/ mermaid/ my name!" which always seems to happen at the moment. Once past this it was plain sailing.
Then, this afternoon, in the name of research we watched this film. I armed each with a notepad and pencil and said "list the mythical beasts and if you are able, describe them." I got three sheets of paper back, two blank and one with a hastily scrawled "giant octopus, giant bird and some thing else" written on it.
It gave me time to clean the bathroom, sweep through the house and load and unload the washing machine, so I wasn't overly worried.
Tomorrow, we create and the really messy fun begins :)
2 comments:
c'mon, that's not stretching! thats important associative thinking and connection making!
I'm also very pleased to see a mix of cultures in this project - arabic as well as celtic and european :)
PLUS arabian nights is a particularly ancient legend (with far reaching influences) and there a lots of very interesting smaller lesser known stories with very obvious morals (guttenburgh project might be a good source)
why not get 'em to tell you all about their fave bit of the film at dinner instead? Narrative after all - a very important staple of the Charlotte Mason methodolgy :)
Also it's been recently prooving that conversation at family dinners boosts social skills.
see, you're doing loads of conplex and thinky theoretical education stuff...
you just have to learn how to spot it and record it in education speak :D
I love the idea of themed weeks! I will store away the myths and legends gem for future use. My youngest daughter loves dragons and things, so would go down well - more reasons to watch Shrek - sigh...!!
Post a Comment