Some would say in the wild. I think it is more accurate to say we live on the edge of wild.
Sounds more exciting, to live on the edge of something.
Recently we went for a walk together. I mean a proper pack-a-flask walk. Since moving there has been precious little time for such events. We have only managed a quick jaunt round the field behind the house. But finally we had some sunshine and we were all in the same place with nothing to do, and so the idea of a walk was made a reality. We wrapped up (snowsuits for the smalls) and bundled out.
We decided to stay local. The boys wanted to go to a woods, the girl wanted to be in the glens and the grown ups didn't want to have to drive anywhere because of the icy roads, so we decided to walk up a nearby hill that we knew had a good view but that started in the depths of a pine woodland.
The photo above is of a pond nearby. It gives you an idea of how cold it has been. Parts of it were frozen solid with fallen trees not even cracking the ice.
The other side of the deer fencing, in the christmas tree plantation, I saw this heart shaped tree stump :)
I like this picture. I like the dark wood, the shadows and the brrrr of it.
Yes it is the same place, on the same day but because the sun could shine on this gap in the trees, there was no snow!
We were climbing upwards on this walk. This one was taken half way up, with not a bit of snow to see....
...but then we got to the top of the hill, and, well, there was plenty of snow. Frozen snow that you could stand on top of and not sink in.
Mr Wah. Feeling small surrounded by the vast openess.
There is something exciting and unnerving about being the only visible humans around as far as the eye can see. I became aware of how loud we were in such a silent landscape. When we did shut up, we heard the call of this bird of prey. Although I still think it was a Buzzard, I was outvoted by the rest of the family.
What we came to see. The monument. Built by Victorians to honour their war dead. I find it staggering that they dragged all that stone up the hill to make this. There are pictures of the unveiling of this monument at the base of the hill. Over 200 locals, men, women and children trekked up the hill to see it.
We still have snow, it is snowing right now as I type. I'm hoping though that this was the first of many walks this year, and that the snow is making it's final appearance of the season.
No comments:
Post a Comment