We have a room in this house - the attic - that is meant to be the creating room but this dining room gets all the morning sunshine. We all seem to start off in here and spread through the house as the day progresses.
Writing desk, also in the dining room, also in a sunny spot.
The games cabinet....also in the dining room. Favourite games at the moment are Mancala (again) Carcasonne (again) and Chess (again)
We have some games in our collection that have never been played. I don't know why. They've been opened and then put away again because we've run out of time/ the rules are too complicated. One of them is the Blue Peter Explorer game and another is Ponte Del Diavolo.
This little chap came from Taro Gomi's Play All Day book. Lb got this for Christmas and we've had a lot of fun with it. There are pop out animals, finger puppets, mini cities....and the paper is thick and shiny. If the name Taro Gomi rings a bell, it may be because he wrote over 400 children's books.
This is a chair, a chair which I pass by each day and plan the next day to stitch up the top which is erupting. I don't want this chair to get worse but each day I forget about it until it is too late in the day to do anything about it. I'm also scared I will make it worse if I fiddle.
Proof that we are doing educational things!! These blobs of plasticine are planets in the solar system, and that big papier mache ball waiting to be painted? The Sun.
The other things on the shelf....they are just there to be kept out of the cats way.
Look a close up! The thing that looks like a carrot? That's a rocket, which is scheduled to be destroyed as it is not to scale (according to Eb) but this is a minor point (according to Mb) which is why the solar system project has ground to a halt until an agreement can be reached. We also went to the Planetarium show locally to talk more space and geekery with those that know. I came away with the knowledge that the retractable observatory roof is in fact papier mache.....giving me all kinds of ideas.
The stove. Tiny but powerful and my savior on these prolonged, cold, days.
This is the games compendium. Another bit of evidence we are learning things. Eb read in the Carol Vorderman book How Maths Works about Algebra Chess and then went off and played it by himself. Always guaranteed to win that way I suppose!
Mb is continuing his foray into engineering by working on a fantastic flinger from the Big Book of Science Things to Make and Do.
Another few books that we've been reading: In case you cannot make out what they are, I shall list them:
What Can I Do Today - Over 100 Projects for Girls age 6-12 (published in 1976, and I can't find a suitable link to it any where on the internet sorry.)
Richard Scarry's Best Rainy Day Book Ever If you do click the link, you will notice that the book is listed for sale at £109. I found ours for 20p at a local charity shop. Bizarre.
The Ultimate Show-Me-How Activity Book Again listed at £29, again only 20p second hand.
These books have provided the back bone to our days of late. Well, that and sledging and minecraft.
The kids have also taken to watching a TV series called "Legends of the Seeker" on Love Film. We don't have normal TV, only what can be watched through the Wii. I don't actually like this series, it is a lame rip off of Harry Potter/ Lord of the Rings but the kids LOVE it and are really enjoying it, and there has been a lot of discussion and role play brought about by it so I'm not saying anything.
We've been walking as much as we can, and I have some great pictures of snow capped glens that are only five minutes from our door, but I'm putting them in their own separate post.
No comments:
Post a Comment