I've read a few already, and love the diversity and commonality that bonds us all.
I chose today, not because we did any thing wowzer or exciting, but it's the one I can remember best at this moment. My memory has been shot to pieces over the past couple of years, and when Blogger had its melt down a couple of days ago, I was very worried about losing my record of the past few years. Thankfully all is where is should be, and I am now trying to fathom how I go about backing it all up, just in case.
This day was not particularly well planned. Some days are of course, especially if we have to be some where by a certain time, and some times one person or other will have an inspired moment and be off and running with an idea. Whilst I wouldn't say we are unschoolers in a complete sense (I still have my panicky moments) we are most certainly heading that way.
So, back to the day....
Well, we've been experimenting with bed times and getting up times at the moment. Up until recently bedtimes have been on the late side, which has meant the getting up times have been late too, which meant that by the time we'd all got ourselves together, it'was nearly lunch time.
We all (except Eb who is a night owl to his very core) agreed to try going to bed earlier, and getting up earlier for a week. We are into day four of the week and every one (except Eb who I will come to in a moment,) is giving it the thumbs up. There seems to be so much more day now, which means I am able to spend a bit more time with the kids rather than trying to catch up all the time.
Eb though, is not naturally an early-to-bed kind of boy. We came to an agreement that he doesn't have to go to bed and sleep when every one else does if he really doesn't want to. Thing is, he isn't happy to be the last one standing either, so we came to compromise of giving him a stack of library books (and I mean the 16 he is allowed to take out on his child ticket!) He will happily read for hours. And, in spite of protests, he has been falling asleep a whole hour earlier than normal, which makes for a happier Eb the next day.
Fascinating as our bed time routines are, we did achieve more than just surfacing.
Last week, I went charity shop shopping (I so prefer the American term, thrifting) for some new-to-us puzzles and general fun. I bought a wooden labyrinth game that's got us all trying to be the first to finish, a puzzle of the UK and some other bits and bobs. I didn't present them all at once, as I think getting out new things once in a while makes for a more entertaining experience.
Today was the turn of the UK puzzle (sneaky poor quality photo from other room) :
So we had a read up, watched a few videos, and took some baby steps into the world of civil engineering.
Then Mb wanted to play with the Cusinaire rods, so we played a game that is an old favourite, but I think I have never blogged about. One person builds a shape from the rods, hidden from the other players, and then every one else has to build the shape from the builders description.
On to some science, this time from the Blast Lab set Od got for her birthday. We tried the crystal making experiment, as well as a few others. Eb was convinced we were going to blow the house up:
After lunch we were to the shops for milk and eggs, and the library to return our many books and pick up a few reservations. I love reserving things at the library, it's like getting presents for free.
We came home with a complete mish-mash, including:
Why is my dog doing that? Understanding your pets troubling behaviour
Thomas Railway Stories audio book
Castles by Colin Thompson
See Inside Planet Earth
Where the wild things are by Maurice Sendak
I'll let you guess who chose what.
These were taken outside and blankets were spread out, toast was munched, the big two took theirs up to the tree house for extra peace. I would have gone up there too given the choice. It is so lovely to sit and listen to the trees shwoshing, and every so often a little house sparrow will perch on the window, and eye you suspiciously.
We went for a quick mad run round the park, swinging on swings, see-sawing and roundabouting and then home for tea, baths, more stories, some planning of Grand Art, and then to bed.
Which is where I am heading now.
1 comment:
Sounds like a marvelous day! I have to admit I'm more than a little envious of your beautiful family. Sigh* one day...
Did you know you can get a bound book of your blog? It would be one way to keep a copy in case anything ever happened to the online version. Take care.
Post a Comment