Then there was this big beauty.
We think she's a common garden spider (but if you know different please inform me.) Is she pregnant? Because that belly looks fit to burst.
The New Amateur Naturalist informs us: "One of the easiest ways to tell the sex of an adult spider is to look at the tips of its palps: if it is a male it will look as if it has boxing gloves on." No boxing gloves, so it must be a little lady enjoying the sun.
One of the greatest achievements of this nature study has been the transformation in my children. They once feared spiders, running from the room if they appeared. Now, having been educated in the wonder that is the arachnid, they are fascinated. They handle spiders, which is more than I can do. I am ashamed to say that even looking at one for too long makes me feel a little bit queasy.
This element has been the best bit. My aim was simple with this nature study: To make the children have a better understanding of the local wildlife around them. I think we have achieved this. There is also a down side, in that every where we go we need to take spotter guides, otherwise I am plagued by "what kind of tree is this?" questions. Serves me right.