I was never any good at cooking as a child. I didn't have a role model in this area, as my own Papa was more of a pop-three-holes-in-the-clingfilm kind of cook.
So I have tried to make a great effort in adulthood to learn the basics and try to make a few dishes well, and not be afraid of a cookery book or kitchen scales. It's been OK actually. There have been a few mistakes, and I still can't perfect pancakes no matter what I try, but on the whole I am confident that I can cater for my family in a fairly healthy manner and even manage a few fancy dishes if given the time and space.
OD likes to bake. She likes the exactness of measurements, the preciseness of recipes. She has been able to make simple fairy cakes for quite a while now, so we decided to venture in to the world of bread making, with the cheat element of a bread maker.
So OD set to, she got out the ingredients, followed the recipe we found on this lovely website. All by her eight year old self. There was a slight problem when I realised the fuse was missing in the machine's plug, (we play chase the light bulb and fuse regularly in this house.) Still, after removing one from the coffee machine, we were back on track.
I think the mixture benefited from the delay, because the end result was a delicious half loaf of the tastiest home made bread to come out of the machine, ever.
This now means that OD wants to set up a system so that she can set the machine to timer and we can have a fresh half loaf every morning. Some times her methodical streak really is a blessing.
Well done OD, you have graduated from Official Tea Maker, to Head of Baked Goods.
2 comments:
OD, I take my baker's hat off to you. And if you ever feel the need to expand your business...
AWESOME! I find bread fiendishly difficult, not least because most recipies call for milk and we're lactose intolerant :(
Post a Comment