The boys have only been out of school for just over a week, so any formal learning for them has been restricted to reading books and playing on the Cbeebies website. However, they have taken an interested in doing "proper" work with their sister, so without actually realising it, we have been educating anyway, and this is a brief run down of those educational moments:
OD and I are learning that the Greek Gods were a really strange bunch. Zeus gave birth to his daughter through his HEAD because he had eaten the mother. Of course.
Arse begins with 'A'. My 6 year old was struggling with words that begin with this letter. We only had Ant and Arm, so he clutched at the swear word straw and came up with this. It does follow on nicely from last week's solar system book in which he kept called Uranus "Uarsehole". I see a theme emerging that I never planned on.
EB wanting to know what I would do if I was turned in to a fly by a lightening bolt and then turned back in to me again with another lightening bolt, would I miss being the fly? This, I like to think of as creative thinking, which is as close as we will get to creative writing for a while.
We broke and then fixed the library's doors. Just as the librarian was starting to thaw and actually smile at us. Problem solving skills - tick.
Shrek has learnt to crawl - big moment for him, and big furniture reshuffle for us.
Some one told me to expect the unexpected when I started this experience, and I think that holds true. It has been eye opening in just these short few days to rediscover my children. They are so different when you are with them all day, and their relationship with each other is different too. EB was always left out by the other big two when they were at school, but since being at home, he has devised games that are just too good for the others not to join in. They are less demanding and happy to have time to themselves, whereas at school they would all come home and want a slice of me, which always co-incided with the baby needing a feed/ nappy change, and some one would always end up tearful and feeling unloved.
Things are going well, let's hope I am not speaking too soon.
1 comment:
the fly thing - surely a deeply philisophical discussion?
Oh and your side bar of things to do, you mention Scamper - Wig spent an ENTIRE summer BEING scamper a couple of years ago. Seriously, he would only answer to 'Scamper', indoors or out. If people asked him what his name was he would reply 'Scamper'. With a totally straight face.
Post a Comment