Funny how it happens. I've been neglecting this space for so long and now I find I have a pocket of time to sit down and write something.
Mr Wah is away on his travels. The girl is away doing horsey things, the younger two are having some Dr Who role playing time and Eb has gone off ice skating with a friend.
There are, of course, a million and one things I should or could be doing. There is (still!) wood to be chopped, and a bathroom that really needs a deep clean, I'm sure I could do some washing up and I know there are two big baskets of clothes that need putting away.
But I also know that all those things will still be there later on, so I've decided to spend a few minutes sitting here to think, and write, about the Festive Season, and what it looks like these days.
It has changed over the years. I find that this year I am letting go and going with the flow a lot more. We are still doing a few traditional things like the local Panto. We went last night and on the whole, it was good. The Dame was very funny but both myself and Mr Wah felt that the first Act was a bit hard to follow. It wasn't just us as Od asked me quite seriously after the first fifteen minutes whether we were watching 'Puss in Boots' or 'Jack and the Beanstalk'. They outdid themselves in the finale though - indoor fireworks, party poppers and fake snow. Never mind the real snow that had been falling outside throughout the performance. Not enough for sledging, but enough to look pretty.
Another tradition that I'm still doing it purchasing an Advent Candle and never lighting it. It is still sitting on the mantelpiece in the kitchen, all wrapped up. I shall probably get round to it on Christmas Eve.
We are still regarded as the Scrooge's of the family, because we don't do the big present buying for our children. As I'm sure many home educators will affirm; our kids get things throughout the year as and when they are needed. We still get them things at Christmas, just not the magnificent piles that others may get. I think the kids are OK with this. To be honest, when list writing this year, three of them struggled to think of more than four things they actually wanted, and Lb has only three requirements: A remote control car, a football and a surprise. I think we can manage that. Mb is keen for a sonic screwdriver, a Harry Potter lego set (and of course, Harry Potter is no longer in production, so I've had to go some searching for this!) and Moshi Monsters. I hate Moshi Monsters. They are on a par with Lego for pain when you stand on them. Eb wants some complicated construction sets - I think they are Lego Technic....can you tell I'm not very good at this sort of thing? And Od needs a new riding hat, new riding boots and a wood carving set. None of those are particularly cheap but I've managed to track down some bargains.
We are introducing a new tradition this year. This will see each child make a stocking for another, with a budget of £10 each. They can make things and buy things, and it's been really fun seeing them all hiding in corners making things for each other. Eb has created a Marauders Map for his Harry Potter loving brother, Od has made a miniature bow and arrow set, and Lb insisted on blowing all his cash on £10's worth of Bon-bons and a pair of magic gloves for his sister....so we are having to be creative with the making part as he has no cash left! We are cheating slightly and using ingredients we already have to make some home made horse treats, and he is also sewing (with help) and small bag for her to wear when she is out hacking to store things.
We still have no central heating. The outside temperature is -6 at nights, and not much above freezing during the day. People are shocked and horrified by this, but we do have some heating. We have two great big woodburners that chuck out the heat and keep downstairs quite toasty. We have a storage heater in the hallway that takes the chill off, and if anyone is playing in a bedroom we have a couple of portable heaters that can go on. They tend to play downstairs anyway, so this rarely happens. Everyone has a hot water bottle at night, and warm flannel pyjama's as well as bed socks if they need them. All the duvets are high quality, and everyone has a spare thinner duvet at the bottom of their bed if they get cold in the night. So far I've had no complaints, and I fuss....I really fuss. I think the words "Were you cold last night?" are the first thing I say every morning.
I have some stunning pictures of ice, snow and ponies frolicking that I need to upload. I think I will get round that doing that over the weekend. In between seeing the town lights get switched on and ordering the last of the Christmas gifts.
No comments:
Post a Comment