Saturday, 3 March 2012

outside :: beach day


 There was a temperature high of twelve degrees centigrade yesterday with clear blue skies, which can mean only one thing.

To the beach.


For the first time this year.

It was very quiet.  Only us and a couple of others, and at one time....only us.

I loved that when we got there a man was sitting on the wall quietly strumming his guitar.


Made me feel like I'd stepped into a film.

We climbed rocks.  I noticed how more able they all are now, only Lb needed help.

There was no great excitement, save for a wave going over the top of my welly.


We found big, beautiful shells and tiger striped driftwood.

We bought bottles of beer and crisps from the pub up the road, and sat and watched the waves rolling in.

We noticed how the shape of the beach has changed, and theories were put forward as to why.  Most popular was the Winter tides.

The biggest different was how the water went deep then shallow further out.  So if you were brave and walked through the calf deep water you were rewarded with slightly warmer toe deep after a couple of metres and access to the best shells before any of the less brave beach combers.

The water was so cold it numbed your feet in seconds, I'm told.  I didn't venture out of welly boots but the younger members needed to feel it, even if it turned their little toes purple in the process.

Home at dusk, with sand in our hair.  Well, those of us with hair.  (Sorry Mr Wah.)



2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Now I want to go to the beach. You paint such a lovely picture.

Lou said...

Your beach looks fantastic and almost makes me nostalgic for those chilly days spent on beaches back in the UK (mind you, it is cooling down here).

There is nothing better than to be by the sea xx