Wednesday, 30 January 2013

starting over

I have had a big blogging break.  In truth, I haven't really been very dedicated to this space for the past twelve (ish) months.

Real life has been full to the brim with, well, real life.

This is the problem with such sporadic blogging.

Where do I start?  It's like starting all over again in some ways.

We have been out and about, weather permitting to the local ranger centre, the library and local museum.  When it did throw down with snow we made the most of that too with lots of sledging and snow fort building.  The snow lasted for two weeks, and we are glad for it to be going now, although there are no promises that we won't see more before the end of Winter.

We've watched Curious CatEcomaths, and The Code.  These are all "educational" programmes made by the BBC.  We recorded them but didn't know whether they would be any good.  I don't like educational programmes that try too hard, we all find them off putting.  These three were all enjoyed by the kids, and watched several times over. 

There has been lots of reading.  TinTin is again a favourite, but we branched out and borrowed some more David Almond and Cressida Cowell books from the library, and The Hobbit has been the latest read aloud.

At the charity shop I scored a big bag of duplo bricks to add to our small collection at home, and they have been a very welcome addition, with all the children playing with them.  We've been painting, making big messes up in the attic with poster paints and shaving foam.  Have I mentioned that this is probably my favourite room in the house?  It is the only one we've decorated in anyway.  I use that term loosely, as all we really did was slap some paint on the walls and make a jigsaw puzzle of carpet coverings at one end.  But all of our arty crafty materials are stored up there, and it is a well used space.

We have made changes to the way home education operates.  I'm finding that part of home education is accepting that things will always be fluid.  At the end of last year I read Lori Pickert's book Project Based Homeschooling, and it gave me some food for thought, as well as a bucket load of inspiration and motivation (always handy in the bleaker months!)  I will write more on this later in the week. 

It's good to be back.

2 comments:

slim pickins said...

glad to see you! always interested in your goings on...welcome back!

slim pickins said...

oh - and i wanted your recommendations on david almond's books - we read and loved Skellig - are the others similar? looking for something my 10 yo will want to sink into for a bit...