Monday, 25 July 2011

learning


I've learnt a few things these past weeks, some of which I'd like to share:

1) Swallow fledglings look very sweet sitting on your washing line, until you bring the washing in and see it is speckled with white swallow poop.

1a) The first time this happens you will re-wash every thing. The seventh time this happens you will shrug your shoulders and pick off the more obvious bits before folding and putting the clothes away as normal.

2) Time has no meaning to local people. When some one says "I'll be round in the morning to fix your oven" they could mean the morning, afternoon or even the morning after that.

3) There are insects every where when you live in the wild, so you had better suck it up and learn to live with them, otherwise you are going to spend every waking moment screaming hysterically. The first day when I fainted clean away at the size of the spider in a boys room (size of MY HAND I tell you) but now I shower with several harvester spiders, and even manage to greet them in a cheery manner. Progress.

4) Not every one thinks it a marvellous idea that you have moved to a house so off the beaten track that the postman leaves your mail in a little post box at the top of the road rather than drive down the bumpy lane to your door.

5) Again, some people will positively freak out at not having a mobile signal, and some other people will tell you that walking twenty minute up hill and having to stand with your face in a bramble bush does not count as having a signal.

6) When a sign says "Road Laying - Long delays" on a country road, they mean it. The road is only wide enough for one car, so you will for a time become part of the road laying party until you either reach your turning or the road widens. Roads are laid very slowly.

7) Small boys will try all manner of tactics to try and sneak frogs into the house. Twice I have sat down at the end of a long day to come eyeball to eyeball with a little kermit lookalike. Both times Mb has sheepishly admitted to bringing them in and hiding them.

8) I have no idea what 90% of the plants and trees are growing around us.

9) Welsh people are some of the friendliest around. If they can help you, they will. Even if it puts them out, they will still happily drive your busted trampoline pole to their welder friend who lives nearly an hour away, get it repaired and bring it back to you and insist it was no bother.

9a) Some Welsh people also think it's a hoot to get non-Welsh people to say Welsh words. I've been quite the centre of entertainment each time I visit the local shops with my dodgy mispronunciations. I couldn't even tell them where I lived without them giggling.

10) This was probably the craziest, best idea we've ever had.

4 comments:

Tania said...

I have a wide grin on my face. It grew wider with every paragraph. But possibly widest at the greeting of the resident shower spiders...

Appleshoe said...

I'm going to have to agree with Tania on this one. Wonderful post, easily the highlight of my morning. Welcome back, now off to read your last post, sorry I missed it. Take care.

Helena said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful life! Congratulations on your move—you made it! How delicious your new place looks. How exciting all your new adventures sound. I loved the idea of you picking off the swallow poop, got prickles at the idea of a spider THAT big. I love that you went for it, your Crazy Best Idea and are there, living your idea to the Full. So cool.

mamacrow said...

oh my gosh, how crazy wild exciting AWESOME!